Monday, January 31, 2011

A Message From Representative Stricherz

January 31, 2011

As we enter into February, I wanted to reflect on the weeks past that I have served as your State Representative. I can honestly tell you that the learning curve has been a steep one and everyday I learn something new. But there has never been a job that I can say that I have enjoyed more then this one!

HB 1055 was my first bill and was immediately sent to the 41st Legislative day...OUCH! A slight wound to the ego, but I pulled up the sleeves and went back to work. HB 1055 was to allow volunteer firefighters and first responders to wear their emergency radios while at their jobs as well as allow response to emergency calls while on the job without punishment.  It was opposed because it was thought to have consequences that would prevent employers from hiring anyone that was a member of their local Fire Dept.

HB 1066, my second bill....again was sent to the 41st legislative day. HB 1066 gave judges the option of setting punishment for failure to comply with a court ordered visitation schedule at a class 2 misdemeanor when the standard punishment of contempt of court didn't remedy the problem. I sent it to the 41st Legislative day because of a miscommunication and eventually a delay in an amendment that I had prepared. I just felt that this bill was not ready to be heard in committee as was written.

HB 1219 is my third and final bill of the session. I have not been given a date as to when it will go to committee yet. But I understand that the 3rd time is a charm! This bill would allow tenants in a month-to-month lease that has resided at the same residence in good standing for two or more years, a 60 day notice to quit rather than the usual 30 days. It is also Military specific and would give the families left behind during deployments an additional 60 days to move in addition to the 30 days, so 90 days total. I am seeking the 90 days for Military families to give the spouse that is left behind ample time to find a new residence, arrange help in moving and to be able to notify the Military member that is deployed. Not always will our deployed Military members be given access to email or "snail" mail on a regular basis.

Of course, the issue that is at the forefront of every one's mind is the budget and the proposed 10% cuts. As we move into the final 6 weeks of the session, discussions are constant as we debate what is in the best interest of the citizen's of South Dakota. There are a few ideas that are up for debate right now, but nothing is finalized.  All of us have been receiving letters and emails from our constituents, keep them coming! We need to hear from you. We have been given some very good ideas and have added them into our discussions.

I must be blunt here....we love hearing from all of you, after all we are your elected officials, however as just a reminder, no matter how passionate you may be over an issue, please remember respect and manners in your comments. Some of the Legislators have been given some nasty comments, finger movements during cracker barrels and out right unruly behavior. This does not help any situation and certainly is not helpful in finding solutions to problems.

I apologize that I have not been very consistent in posting information on this blog. My day begins early and ends late, so I just haven't be given the time to write.  Our social calendar has been crazy,but will be slowing down over the next few weeks. In fact,I am embarrassed to have to admit that there has been events that I sent RSVP's too then missed because I get my nose into codified law and totally forget! If I am not reading or researching I am asking hundreds of questions to other legislators, leaders or the LRC staff. When I finally find my way back to my hotel room I check and answer emails and messages then go to bed.

In the mean time,if you need to speak to me I can be reached via email at rep.stricherz@us.state.sd, or look for me on my facebook page. If all else fails give me a quick call and leave a message, I can be reached at 605-201-6372.

God Bless!

Patricia Stricherz

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENTS HERE